Thursday 5 April 2012

learning the aliveness of the world

So now that you have had a chance to think about the importance of gazing upon your children I bring you a title that you might want to pick up at the library...


'A New Culture of Learning: Cultivating the Imagination in a World of Constant Change
by Douglas Thomas and John Seely Brown, 


in which the authors say:

"The twenty-first century belongs to the tacit [as opposed to the explicit]. In the digital world we learn by doing, watching, and experiencing. ... In a world where things are constantly changing, focusing exclusively on the explicit dimension is no longer a viable model for education. 
"The problem is that almost every technique and practice we have for understanding how we learn has been about the explicit - the content - in a stable world." 




He's a link for the book
http://www.amazon.com/New-Culture-Learning-Cultivating-Imagination/dp/1456458884#reader_1456458884


So, while I don't want you to fear that things are so unstable, I want to encourage you to follow the inspiration of this poem that we have put at the on the parent bulletin board:



I tried to teach my child with books, 
He gave me only puzzled looks. 
I tried to teach my child with words, 
They passed him by oft unheard. 
Despairingly I turned aside
How shall I teach this childI cried. 
Into my hand he put the key, 
Come, he said, play with me...

Have a great weekend and we'll see you on Tuesday

Kate

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to go home and play with my kids :) Thanks, Kate. Can't wait to check out that book!

    ReplyDelete