Monday 21 May 2012


Mindfulness and the Care of the Centre

I spent time in the Centre this weekend polishing the floor with my son.  The easy rhythm of our work compelled me to go back in the evening and do some simple tasks.  When there, in the quiet of the evening, I experienced an awakening to the space and to my senses within that space.  It was a reminder that in the care of the toys, the windows, the floors, I am showing the children my care for them.  It made me think about all the hours parents of Creative Minds children have given to the care of the building.  From plumbing help and the scrubbing of windows and walls to the organizing of the 3000+ books and the sorting of all that Lego!  Each of you have given so much to Creative Minds and the importance of the time you have given has not been overlooked.  In fact, each time we have a collective gathering to care for the space we, as teachers, experience a reawakening of our senses in that space.  As  Kabat-Zinn puts it " ...our primary connection to life is through our own interiority — the experiencing of our own body and all our senses, including the mind, which allow us to touch and be touched by the world, and to act appropriately in response to it."  Thus, our care of the space supports our care of the children in ways that go far beyond their safety and the programming.

I felt you might like to know that Tuesday is not just a work party, but an opportunity for us all to celebrate our care for the children.  

Kate

2 comments:

  1. A lovely commnent, Kate. I only wish I could make it on Tuesday night! I have a work commitment. Thank you for all your hard work. Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. CM is such a thought-full learning place! There is so much that happens behind-the-scenes, thank you for all your hours of love!

    ReplyDelete