Friday 31 August 2012

Beautiful Moments


Hello Families,

The teachers and I have been reflecting on the events of the summer and giggling in the retelling of the stories about camping trips in the forest, bike riding accomplishments, water play and cake days!  It was a great summer wasn’t it?  Kathryn shared a story with us about one of the children’s sense of history while at Creative Minds.  We were astounded to hear that the young child could retell, in order, the units of inquiry that have taken shape over the last 2 years!  Can you imagine it?  I can’t even name them all in order.  It may be because his mother has copies of all of the photo journals but I don’t think that explains it all.  I think part of this spectacular re/membering comes from the child’s complete immersion in the moments of play, conversation and exploration alone and with others.  It seems to me that while we are busy photographing, collecting and recording there is a part of us that is removed from the event.  I’m sure you have noticed this too as you video record or photograph your children’s special events.  It made me wonder.  There is a emphasis at Creative Minds on recording the learning process in order to develop reflective practice, to support the children’s unique and individual learning needs and to celebrate with children and families, the wonderful events that grow out of our time together.  This seems reasonable, purposeful and important to continue.  In the middle of this thinking I came upon a quote from one of my favouite authors, Toni Morrison.  She wrote, in Tar Baby,

"At some point in life the world's beauty becomes enough. You don't need to photograph, paint or even remember it. It is enough. No record of it needs to be kept and you don't need someone to share it with or tell it to. When that happens — that letting go — you let go because you can."


I am reminded to take the time, like our young learner, to be with the beauty of the moment.  To let it sit with me, wash over me and become part of me.

As we ask you to bring in photos of your child know that we are making this request while holding Morrison’s thought of the beauty of the moment in mind. 

Wishing you all a restful long weekend.

Kate

2 comments:

  1. It is wondrous when our children can be so engaged with the world. Thank you Kate and the CM staff for creating/facilitating such a stimulating and inspiring environment for us all to BE in.

    jinny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when I was a teenager, I used to listen to the radio and record all the songs I liked. I loved those songs, but trying to record them was frustrating as the DJ spoke over the beginning and the end of the song! I wanted to have the recording without the DJ's voice! In fact, I think I missed enjoying the mot just because I wanted to "record" the moment! I was so worried that I would never be able to hear those songs again, so I wanted to make sure I have a copy! Years later, when I found those songs for free on Youtube, I laughed at my stupid behavior back then. So, I can say that I agree that we should sometimes not worry about taking a picture. We should try to enjoy the moment instead. It just happened to me last week: I was staring at the fulll moon when a piece of cloud suddenly covered a small part of it and turned it to the Apple's logo! As I tried to take a picture of that, I missed all the beauty of the scene and I couldn't even see what was going on!
    Thanks for the advice! I should not worry about recording the moment; I should try to enjoy it instead.

    ReplyDelete