Friday 16 March 2018

Living the ways of an Inquirer


Caring, courageous, open-minded, knowledgeable, principled, inquirer, communicator, balanced, thinker, and reflective 
are huge practices for everyone and we learn them from one another.

These learner traits are meant to promote the children’s abilities to be …

caring, inquiring, knowledgeable, young people who help to create a peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect and to become active, compassionate learners who understand that other people, with their differences, can also be right.

To help support these ways of being in the world we started including the children more centrally in helping us explore the learner traits and how they are expressed and experienced each day at Creative Minds Early Learning Centre.

Jake started us off with his desire to wear the “inquirer” shirt.  He said,
“an inquirer is a person who knows how to look at things”.   
I added that an inquirer is also a person who asks questions.

In song study today (I tapped out Clickety Clack). I asked, “here’s my secret song.  What do you hear?” 

Other questions came from the children,
“Does it match?”
“Was I right?”
“How do I make the circle bigger?”
“Where will we end up when we get to the end of the song?”

When you think about yourself this weekend, ask “what questions do I ask and what do I wonder about?” and make those questions known to your child.  Feel free to share your experiences with us.  We'll have a Learner Traits wall soon to add your comments.






No comments:

Post a Comment